How effective is your Association at reaching your younger physicians? What if the “socially distanced” 2020 offered an insight into how these physicians actually prefer to engage and learn?
- Millennial physicians are “mobile-native” and use their smartphones to prescribe, communicate with colleagues, and to access both their professional and personal social media accounts.
- As physicians they are typically data-driven and seek out multiple sources of online/digital content; and
- They highly value work-life balance. Millennial physicians, like much of the rest of their generational cohort, seek out flexible and convenient solutions to their problems that fit into their busy lifestyles.
Let’s dive deeper into the digital behaviors of this younger demographic and discuss strategies to reach these young physicians where they already are.
Millennial Doctors’ Digital Behaviors
They Heavily Access Medical Reference Sites
Digital Resources Group reports that millennial doctors spend nearly five hours each day utilizing their EHRs, and an additional three hours consulting external digital resources (much of that from their phones).
This is a trend specific to millennials; younger health professionals source online medical journals and medical reference sites far more frequently than their older peers.
Why is this?
This group of physicians is more comfortable with information technology and is often described as data-driven when it comes to decision making. When looking for a solution to a problem, this doctor demographic values evidence over both opinion and experience.
RECOMMENDATION: Today’s younger physicians are all about evidence-based medicine, and they’re hungry for content. Therefore, your association website should be the first place they search for answers to their questions.
They Are Heavy Podcast Listeners
As a result of 2020, the way people are consuming information has changed to strategic, remote, on-the-go learning. People value having remote learning options, and the medium that has seen the greatest success and growth is podcasting.
Podcasts are one of the most flexible formats to consume – enabling young listeners who value work-life balance to stay informed while engaging in other activities.
In 2020, for the first time ever, more than 100 million Americans listened to at least one podcast each month. Demographics skew young and highly educated (like physicians), and data from other medical associations prove that physicians listen to podcasts if the content comes from a trusted source (like their association).
With the mainstream popularity of on-the-go listening technology such as AirPods and CarPlay - podcast consumers are now enjoying their favorite content in more places than ever:
64% listen in the car;
49% listen while walking; and
40% listen at the gym.
74% of podcast listeners tune in to learn something new; and
60% tune in to stay up to date with the latest topics.
On the ConveyMED Podcast Education App, societies can create a better audio educational experience.
Categorize content to make it easier for their members to find content, enrich the audio experience with images, and link back to video content on their website for a seamless educational experience.
RECOMMENDATION: Of all the content mediums that millennials engage with, podcasts are among the most economical to produce consistently – both in terms of time and financial resources. An Association Podcast Channel on the ConveyMED App is a great way to educate young members in a format that they prefer, while also informing them of ongoing society news and events.
They Respond to Email Marketing
Millennial physicians’ digital habits indicate that email is still one of the best forms of brand outreach. Similarly to social media, physicians check this form of digital communication daily, both on and off the job.
Forbes reports that the millennial generation in general is “email obsessed,” and 43% of millennials ages 25 to 34 check their email while still in bed in the morning. And unlike social media, which is often busy with ads and notifications, email marketing can be more targeted and personalized.
RECOMMENDATION: If you’re looking to engage this specific demographic at a cheap cost, email marketing is an excellent channel to utilize. Your email marketing strategy can include more than membership renewal reminders and conference RSVPs – it should include compelling content your members will want to engage with.
How can medical associations thrive in this digital world?
Young physicians navigate the world differently. Here’s your 4-step strategy to connect with them where they already are:
- Create a robust digital content/education strategy. Medical Associations are the premiere sources of content for their members; ensure that they look to you first for the information and education that they are seeking.
- Ensure you have a mobile optimized website with informative landing pages. Young physicians will spend up to 3 hours a day searching online for content, most often from their phone. Is your website ready to answer their questions?
- Create a society podcast channel. Younger physicians are heavy podcast listeners and love the convenience of “on the go” learning. Not sure how to get started? The Convey Studio can produce your channel at no cost to you.
- An email marketing/outreach strategy to invite them to educational opportunities, keep them up to date on society events and send them your content.
But we understand how much time, energy and money goes into these strategies, and how difficult that can be for associations who are already busy and overwhelmed as it is. That’s why we created ConveyMED.
Millennial Doctors + ConveyMED
ConveyMED helps you reach your younger members by creating an association podcast channel that is optimized for education on the ConveyMED App. We help medical association by:
- Helping you create an engaging society podcast channel through our Convey Studio. We will record, edit and produce your episodes – at no cost to you;
- Creating an educational experience, including CME, that is not possible on open podcast platforms like Spotify;
- Boosting remote member engagement of new and prospective members with “On the go” learning through the ConveyMED app; and
- Generating a highly profitable revenue stream for associations with a no-risk revenue sharing model
With our prestigious partners already including American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society and Orthopaedic Trauma Association, ConveyMED wants to help other medical associations generate high-quality expert content and reach more young physicians.
Millennial doctors are different, but you can reach them!
Physicians are growing more digital with each passing generation, so a robust digital strategy is a must. By implementing these cost effective digital marketing strategies, such as podcasts, you have the ability to educate a growing and involved audience like never before.
If you would like to discuss how we can help your association grow and engage with physicians today and tomorrow, please reach out to us! We would be happy to discuss a strategy perfect for you.
Increase Physician Engagement Today with ConveyMED
Click here to learn how ConveyMED can help you reach young physicians wherever they are.